$95,000 — $110,000
This is a great opportunity to join one of Australia's finest communications agency and to help direct one if its finest and most loyal clients. You might currently be working as client lead in an integrated, digital or media agency
From brief to final delivery, it is your responsibility to lead the clients and agency team to deliver the very best work which will deliver against the client brief, creating an environment of motivation, inspiration, trust and partnership.
Beyond managing the projects, you should be leading the clients, driving the agency agenda. This is built through a deep strategic partnership with clients, where they always want your point of view because they know you understand their business as well as them. You should always be asking the right questions and doing your homework to ensure you have a robust understanding of the client’s business, its strengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats, as well the motivations of the clients themselves so you know how to best frame the work.
The Account Director should ensure that the client interaction with the Agency should be the high point of their day, and can leave them feeling stretched, even challenged at times, but always constructively so, based on building to a shared goal not individual disparate agendas.
You should always do what's right for the work and sometimes that means having the difficult conversations - whether that's on the brief, on creative feedback, timings or budget but based on your knowledge of their business and their personal motivations, you know how best to do this and have built up the trust that will make this easier.
Making it happen
You are responsible for the delivery of all projects on brief, on time and in budget - at the very best quality.
You are responsible for ensuring you have access to the right skills to deliver. You should get to know what the Client offering is within the different group capabilities, why it could be relevant to your Client and who the discipline experts are within our those capabilities. Be collaborative to ensure a seamless integration of skills, all working for the same thing - the work.
You are responsible for getting client approval on all aspects of production. That requires thinking ahead, ensuring clients are clear on what needs to happen when and therefore setting the right conditions to drive the agency agenda and getting to the best output.
At Account Director level we expect you to demonstrate a sound strategic understanding and insight into your client’s business, its competitors, the broader category and its customers. You should have a point of view on what is right for their business (not just what the clients want) bringing a fresh perspective to the table. You should be able to present strategic thinking with clarity, often leading the conversation both internally and with clients. Your planner will not always be in the room, so you should learn not to be overly reliant on them for their point of view.
Some of the desirable skills and experience
- Account Directors should be capable at writing good creative briefs for smaller projects, always with an insightful 'did you know' that can frame the challenge.
- You should start to lead the longer term view, having a point of view about what the approach should be beyond the current projects in order to deliver against the client's objectives.
- You set roles, responsibilities and lead your particular silo team on a day-to-day basis, mentoring and coaching as appropriate. You play an important role in keeping everyone motivated - not only in account management but also planning, creative, data and production.
- Inspire high standards throughout – both internally and in all aspects of client service. You should provide positive leadership in all situations, especially the difficult ones.
- You ensure you have the flexibility of style between orchestrating, facilitating or driving a team and knowledge of when each style will help to meet the end goal.
- Nurture and develop junior talent including performance appraisals and encouraging productive career conversations, including the setting and regular reviews of objectives. This approach should empower the team to become self-aware, self-motivated and inspired to do their very best.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage individuals (both senior and junior) and their workloads to get the best from them.
- You are responsible overall for delivering campaigns on brief, on time and on budget - delegating work effectively to the wider team taking into account individuals skills and development needs.
- The Account Director should show a clear understanding of the financial status on the account at all times and have a point of view on why that's the case, and whether there is work to be done to improve it. This should cover scope, margin, profitability and revenue.
- You should be able to accurately forecast and ensure members of you team have contributed to and understand the targets set for live and upcoming projects.
- You should own the budgets of all projects and be able to troubleshoot, including being able to manage these across multiple channels and group capabilities. You should also contribute to good financial management of the business, improving profitability and maximising revenue, always looking for better ways of doing things.You should ensure the team is following all financial rules and regulations, both internal and external as well as any client agreed processes.